Penile Discharge Symptoms & Signs
Medical Author: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD
Penile discharge may be watery (clear) or cloudy (containing pus). The discharge may also be bloody. Urinary tract infection (UTI) or a sexually transmitted infection are common causes of penile discharge. Penile discharge is often accompanied by pain or burning during urination and a need to urinate frequently. Itching can also accompany penile discharge. Chlamydia, gonorrhea, and Trichomonas infections are common infections that may cause penile discharge. Genital herpes rarely causes penile discharge.
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 3/6/2017
Kasper, D.L., et al., eds. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, 19th Ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Education, 2015.
Pictures, Images, Illustrations & Quizzes
Picture of Penis The penis is the male sex organ, reaching its full size during puberty. See a picture of the Penis and learn more about the...learn more »
STD Diagnosis, Images, Symptoms, Treatment Learn about sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) including symptoms, signs, diagnosis, and treatment options. Get more...learn more »
Causes of Penile Discharge
Penis Cancer Signs and symptoms of penile cancer include a lump on the penis and redness, irritation, or a sore on the penis. Risk of penis...learn more »
In This Article
Penis Cancer Article
- Penis cancer facts
- What is penile cancer?
- What are causes and risk factors of penile cancer?
- What are signs and symptoms of penis cancer?
- What tests to health-care professionals use to diagnose penis cancer?
- What factors affect the prognosis and treatment of penile cancer?
- What are the stages of penile cancer?
- What are the treatment options for patients with penile cancer?
- What penis cancer treatments are being tested in clinical trials?
- What are penile cnacer treatment options by stage?
- What are treatment options for recurrent penile cancer?
STDs in Men Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are infections transmitted during sexual contact. They may be caused by viruses, bacteria,...learn more »
In This Article
STDs in Men Article
- STDS in men: Common infections and facts
- What are sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)?
- Who is at risk for STDs?
- What causes STDs in men?
- What are the signs and symptoms of STDs in men?
- List of STDs in men
- 1. Chlamydia
- 2. Gonorrhea
- 3. Trichomoniasis
- 4. HIV
- 5. Genital herpes
- 6. Genital warts (HPV)
- 7. Hepatitis
- 8. Syphilis
- 9. Zika virus
- Which specialties of doctors treat STDs in Men?
- How are STDs in men diagnosed?
- What is the treatment for STDs in men?
- What is the prognosis for STDs in men?
- Can STDs in men be prevented?
Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs) A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection of the bladder, kidneys, ureters, or urethra. E. coli, a type of bacteria that...learn more »
In This Article
Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs) Article
- What is a urinary tract infection (UTI)?
- What are causes and risk factors for a urinary tract infection?
- Are urinary tract infections contagious?
- What are urinary tract infection symptoms and signs?
- When should people seek medical care for a UTI?
- How do health care professionals diagnose a urinary tract infection?
- What kinds of doctors treat urinary tract infections?
- Are there home remedies for a urinary tract infection?
- What is the treatment for a urinary tract infection?
- How long does a UTI last after treatment with antibiotics?
- What follow-up is needed for a urinary tract infection?
- Is it possible to prevent a urinary tract infection?
- What is the prognosis of a urinary tract infection?
Other Causes of Penile Discharge
- Genital Herpes
- Mycoplasma genitalium Infection
- Ureaplasma urealyticum Infection
Examples of Medications for Penile Discharge
- azithromycin (Zithromax, Zithromax Z-Pak, Zithromax Tri-Pak, Zmax)
- cefixime (Suprax)
- Cipro, Cipro XR (ciprofloxacin) Antibiotic
- doxycycline (Vibramycin, Oracea, Adoxa, Atridox, Acticlate, Acticlate Cap, Doryx, Doxteric, Doxy)
- metronidazole (Flagyl, Flagyl ER) Antibiotic
- metronidazole cream, Noritate, Metrocream
- Metronidazole: Topical (Metrogel, Metrocream, Metrogel Vaginal, and Others)
- ofloxacin, Floxin (Discontinued Brand)
Symptoms & Signs A-Z List