Zithromax (azithromycin) is good for treating many bacterial infections and is available in generic form. However, it may cause headache, dizziness, or rash.
4.0/ 5 average rating with 909 reviewsforazithromycin
Vibramycin (doxycycline) is good for treating many bacterial infections, but can increase your skin's sensitivity to sunlight and make you more likely to get a sunburn or rash.
3.2/ 5 average rating with 112 reviewsfordoxycycline
- Available as a generic in the tablet and suspension form.
- The suspension can be used if you have problems swallowing.
- Used to treat many types of bacterial infections.
- Bacteria is less resistant to this antibiotic, meaning that Zithromax (azithromycin) will fight off the bacteria better. Your doctor may run tests to see which antibiotics will kill the bacteria causing your infection.
- Immediate release form can be taken with or without food.
- Vibramycin (doxycycline) is a good alternative for some types of bacterial infections for people who are allergic to penicillin.
- Available in generic.
- Available as a liquid for those who have trouble swallowing.
- Vibramycin (doxycycline) is safe for people age 65 or older and those who have kidney problems.
- Must space out antacids by at least 2 hours.
- Use with caution if you have liver disease.
- Must be used with caution if you are on medications to thin the blood (anticoagulants) because of increased risk of bleeding.
- Vibramycin (doxycycline) makes your skin more sensitive to the sun.
- Vibramycin (doxycycline) can make some birth control less effective, so you may have to use barrier methods (like condoms) while on it.
- Vitamins, iron supplements, or antacids can't be taken at the same time as Vibramycin (doxycycline).
- Vibramycin (doxycycline) can cause severe diarrhea that is usually watery and bloody, as late as up to 2 months after finishing the medicine.
- Extended-release liquid
- Delayed release pill
Want to save even more money?
Sign up now for a 30-day trial and save up to 95% at CVS, Kroger, Albertsons, and other pharmacies.
saidit'sa big hassle
Have you used Zithromax (azithromycin)?Leave a review
saidit'sa big hassle
Have you used Vibramycin (doxycycline)?Leave a review
The Vibramycin (doxycycline) FDA package insert doesn’t have numbers about how common side effects are.
Risks and risk factors
Diarrhea caused by bacteria (Clostridium difficile)
- History of liver disease
- Myasthenia gravis
Serious allergic reaction
- QT prolongation
- Drugs that cause prolonged QT interval
- Abnormal electrolytes
Color changes in teeth of young children and unborn babies
- Age 8 or younger
- Women in their last half of pregnancy
- Using Vibramycin (doxycycline) for a long period of time
Sunburn or rash
- Being in the sun for a long period of time
- Using tanning salons
Harm to fetus (unborn baby)
- Women who can potentially or want to become pregnant
- Pregnant women
© 2017 Iodine Inc.
Antibiotics: An overview (article) Khan Academy Zithromax 500 mg gonorrhea discharge Barney postinor city - N. Tesla
Wolfdog - Wikipedia
AZITHROMYCIN : Side effects, ratings, and patient
Azithromycin Oral Suspension - FDA prescribing information, side